Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Dont let me lie to myself

Going through Psalm 119 over the last few days has reminded me how much passion the Old Testament song writer has for God's word. He obviously loves is and not simply because he is religious and likes religious ideas but rather because the Word of God comes from God. Much like I keep some of the letters that Claire sent me there is a connection with the person through the words. In that way the word of God becomes not merely a communication of ideas but it connects me with him too; it is relational.

Listen to this bit:

Psalm 119

25  I lie in the dust;
revive me by your word.
 26  I told you my plans, and you answered.
Now teach me your decrees.
 27  Help me understand the meaning of your commandments,
and I will meditate on your wonderful deeds.
 28  I weep with sorrow;
encourage me by your word.
 29  Keep me from lying to myself;
give me the privilege of knowing your instructions.
 30  I have chosen to be faithful;
I have determined to live by your regulations.
 31  I cling to your laws.
Lord, don’t let me be put to shame!
 32  I will pursue your commands,
for you expand my understanding. 

"keep me from lying to myself"
How do I know if I am lying to myself? How can I know if I am self deceived?
Well, I know that good friends can keep me honest, but how do I know if they have got it right?
I only know one person who knows me completely and is wise and brave enough to say it as it is and that's God. He does say some things in his word that are painful and direct but I love respect him all the more for saying them. The capacity my heart has to lie to itself is staggering, what I need is an injection of realism from the word so that I don't let it pull the wool over my eyes.


No comments: